Friday, February 03, 2006

You know it's hard out here for a censor

So in my quest to see as many of the big Oscar-nominated films as I can before the ceremony, I rented "Hustle & Flow" the other day. Great performance, decent but predictable film, and one huge question: how in the world are they going to perform the Best Song nominee "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" when it has lyrics like these? I know they brought in Robin Williams to get around some of the lines in "Blame Canada" a few years back, but this is a much, much more profane song. My only theory: hire the same network execs who helped Krusty the Klown have this conversation with the guys from Red Hot Chili Peppers:
"Here where it says, 'What I got you gotta get and put it in you,' how about just, 'What I'd like is I'd like to hug and kiss you.'"
"Wow, that's much better!"
"Everyone can enjoy that!"

Any other thoughts?

No comments: